Based on the Alsatian dish of Pissalidiere, this gourmet flatbread is built upon a crispy gluten free crust . It's topped with pan caramelized onions, fresh herbs, fresh walnuts and hazelnuts with large scoops of aged cashew cream cheese. Share your recipe images with us!
Yields 1: 12-inch thin crust
• 2 cups or 1 lb organic all-purpose flour mix
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tbsp dry active yeast + 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
• 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds + 2 tbsp warm water)
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil +1/2 cup water.
• 6 medium onions-sliced thin
• 1/2 tsp salt
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup walnuts
• 1/4 cup hazelnuts- roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp of herb de province
• 4 tbsp cashew cream cheese.
• Garnish fresh basil, fresh figs & lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. To make caramelized onions add oil, salt and the 6 sliced onions to a cold sauce pan, cook for 1 hour on a medium heat stirring every 8 minutes until the onions become light brown and any water has evaporated from the pan. Set aside for step 9.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add flax eggs and olive oil.
4. Combine with a spatula at first, then use your hands to form a ball of pizza dough.
5. Place the dough ball between two parchment paper pieces and roughly press the ball with your hands to flatten it into a thick disc.
6. Shape with a rolling pin until it forms a 12-inch (30 cm) diameter pizza crust.
7. Peel off the top piece of parchment paper, smooth the sides of the pizza crust, then slide the bottom parchment paper piece (with the rolled pizza dough on it) onto a baking tray.
8. Prebake the crust for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crispy. The thicker you roll it, the longer it takes to crisp.
9. Remove from the oven, and spread the caramelized onions, hazelnuts and walnuts, herbs and cashew cheese
10. Return pizza into the oven and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
11. Garnish with fresh figs and basil.